Ameet B. Naik, Founder & Managing Partner of Naik Naik & Co. is a lawyer par excellence and brings over two decades of experience in the fields of dispute resolution, international arbitration and general corporate advisory. Ameet's varied experience allows him to provide bespoke advice to clients enabling them to achieve their business and commercial objectives while ensuring legal compliance. He is regarded as a 'Litigator Par Excellence' and carries several important reported judgments and landmark decisions to his credit. Ameet has been at the fore-front of several high stake litigations and has represented one of the major Indian stock exchanges in its dispute against SEBI. He has also spear-headed the legal recourse in a number of frauds and scams related matters. In the International Arbitration space, Ameet has handled a variety of claims from shareholders' disputes to representing international players from key industry sectors like oil & gas.
Several big conglomerates consult Ameet for his impeccable legal strategy and the course of action suggested by him right at the early stages of any dispute. Ameet has personally represented the clients at all the key courts and forums ranging from Supreme Court of India, High Courts of various states, NCLT, SAT, SEBI, CCI, CBFC, FCAT, TDSAT and APTEL.
Ameet is an experienced corporate lawyer with extensive experience in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, guiding a large variety of companies, ranging from multinational companies to medium-sized and small private companies. This combined with his litigation skills allows him the ability to structure and strategize transactions effectively focusing on commercial objectives whilst mitigating risks. As an avid practitioner in the field of corporate laws, Ameet ensures personal involvement in hand-holding the promoters, virtually sitting down with them with a solution-oriented approach and nailing outcomes to their benefit. Throughout his enriching professional journey, Ameet has worked 360 degrees across all major sectors and has in-depth knowledge of factors and players that affect these sectors. It is, perhaps, his entrenched knowledge of sector-specific operations and laws that he is the first choice of all his clients for any issue related to corporate practice - ranging from macro level strategic inputs to micro level compliances and implementation related legal issues.
In Technology, Media & Telecommunication (TMT) sphere, Ameet is considered to be epitome of quality legal advice, turnaround time and domain expertise. Being one of the first lawyers who extensively worked in the Media & Entertainment sector, he is regarded as a true visionary and has represented some of the biggest names in the sector. He has successfully led the firm to transition from a traditional media practice to advanced niche practices like digital platforms, sports and gaming laws, etc. Ameet has been consistently ranked, as one of the leading individuals in India in the field of TMT by reputed International Publications like Chambers and Partners - Asia Pacific and The Legal 500. He has also been listed in the 'A -List: India's Top 100 Lawyers' thrice in a row from 2016 to 2018. Economic Times, a leading Indian publication has awarded Ameet with 'Young Professional Award' in 2018.
Ameet has authored two books - "The Role and Rule of Law: A legal handbook on the Indian Media & Entertainment Industry" and "3600
OF LAW on Cinematograph Works", which have been very well-received by the fraternity and have established him as a thought leader in the field of media & entertainment laws.
As an accomplished media commentator, Ameet is frequently invited to speak at conferences and seminars, especially conferences related to the field of media & entertainment organized by organizations like National Film Development Corporation (NFDC), International Bar Association (IBA), Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA) and Society of Indian Law Firms (SILF). Ameet has also regularly been invited and appeared as a panelist on television shows across all channels. He is also a visiting faculty at the ILS Law College, Pune, and other leading law schools in India.Representative Experience:
- Notable Litigations:
- Successfully represented Viacom18 before the Supreme Court of India in a petition filed against the decision of the Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Chhatisgarh state governments to ban release of the film Padmaavat after widespread protests and violent threats from the fringe group, Karni Sena. In a landmark judgment, the Supreme Court upheld the sanctity and inviolability of the right to freedom of speech and expression and cleared the release of the film while ordering.
- Successfully represented Phantom Films in an appeal filed before the Bombay High Court challenging a decision by the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) to ban the release of the film Udta Punjab. The Bombay High Court upheld the right to freedom of speech and expression and allowed Udta Punjab to be released theatrically with only a single cut, as compared to the 89 cuts which were initially suggested by the CBFC.
- Representing Phantom Films in an ongoing public interest litigation claiming that certain scenes and the subtitling in the Netflix series Sacred Games are derogatory to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi and should be removed.
- Represented Phantom Films Pvt. Ltd in its production services agreement with Netflix Studios, LLC for the acclaimed web-series Sacred Games.
- End-to-end legal support to Amazon Studios LLC and Amazon Seller Services Pvt. Ltd in relation to several projects for Amazon Original content on Amazon Prime Video.
- Advising the BBC on various aspects of Indian law and compliance issues for content of the following shows: Top Gear India Special, Baby Borrowers, The Week the Women Went.
- Provided end-to-end transactional and advisory support to Endemol Shine India in relation to the acquisition of format rights of the international series: Who Wants to be a Millionaire: Kaun Banega Crorepati; Big Brother: Big Boss; Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi; Dancing with the Stars: Jhalak Dhikhla Jaa.
- Represented Anil Kapoor Film Company Pvt. Ltd., in relation to its acquisition of format rights of the international series "24" from Twentieth Century Fox and, in granting broadcasting rights of the local programme to Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd.
- Represented Rohit Shetty Picturez LLP in its acquisition of adaptation rights of the popular Golmaal film franchise i.e. Golmaal: Fun Unlimited (2006), Golmaal Returns (2008) and Golmaal 3 (2010) from Ritz Enterprises.
- End-to-end advisory, documentation and transactional support to Saavn LLC in relation to their music streaming and distribution service, and drafted and negotiated varied agreements for Artist Originals, bundling agreements with telecom operators in India, content license and acquisition deals, etc. Additionally advised Saavn on legal compliance and due diligence measures to be adopted by Saavn as an intermediary under the provisions of the Information Technology Act, 2000.
- Represented Kwan Entertainment & Marketing Solutions, India in their 50:50 joint venture with Creative Artists Agency (CAA), a leading American entertainment and sports firm.
- Advised Prime Focus in its acquisition of Frantic Films, a company engaged in the CFX/SFX (technology sector) business in Canada and Post Logic Studious located in Los Angeles. The total acquisition cost of Frantic Films including the subsidiaries all over the globe and Post Logic Studious was in excess of USD 40 million. Additionally, assisted Prime Focus in relation to private equity investment from AID Partners Capital Limited;
- Assisted Transgaming Inc, a Canada based company in settling their long standing dispute with Indiagames Limited (a Disney enterprise) and negotiated the settlement agreement for Transgaming Inc.